Heal Hypothyroidism Naturally with Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture
Is it possible to heal hypothyroidism naturally? When I was 18 years old I went to the doctor because I was very tired and slightly depressed. My blood tests revealed elevated TSH levels, which is a primary indicator signaling depressed thyroid function. He told me I had Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Before I knew the first thing about medicine, I remember asking my doctor, “What is causing my thyroid not to work correctly?” His answer was, “I’m not sure, here’s your prescription, you will have to take this for the rest of your life.” That was a tough pill to swallow (pun intended) and I remember not being ok with that! But, the medication did make me feel about 60% better, but never quite the same. Is this a familiar story for you as well?
Now, at the age of 38, my thyroid functions just fine without any medication. I’ve learned much about thyroid health in that time, which is why it is one of my favorite things to help patients with. You can heal your thyroid naturally just like I did. Chinese medicine is a complete system of medicine and can offer healing for just about any health condition. Every health problem has physical, electrical and emotional/spiritual components that must all be addressed in order for you to have the best chance of healing from hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. To learn more about this model of healing, please see the article The Five Levels of Healing in the Body.
Physical Healing of Hypothyroidism
We could discuss many things that affect the thyroid; however, a couple of things are staples in healing.
- Mercury damages thyroid health. Mercury from vaccines and dental amalgams wreck havoc on a thyroid. First, one must detoxify and then the mercury must be removed.
- The thyroid needs iodine to make its hormones. Where are you getting iodine from in your diet? One very special form of iodine should be supplemented and can make a big difference.
- A thorough and complete detoxification of the body must be done. Other chemicals like fluoride, chlorine and many other things can have a big impact on the thyroid. We also must reduce our exposure to toxins in the environment. We go over all of this in the clinic.
- Certain foods depress the immune system and cause viral factors to sprout up that greatly affect the thyroid. The worst offenders are all dairy products, refined sugar, corn, wheat, and fried foods.
- One virus in particular is responsible for the infection that is raging in a thyroid for someone who has hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and inhibits natural production of hormone. It is critical to address this viral factor with very specific herbs.
- Other very particular supplements are needed to contribute to thyroid health. In the clinic we use Nutrition Response Testing to find out exact what and how much of something you need.
Electrical Healing of Hypothyroidism
Acupuncture has been used by many people to get a big boost in energy, feel less depressed, have healthier hair growth, and balance weight. The acupuncture system is a part of the body’s electric system much like the nervous system. Acupuncture points are found along connective tissue divides in the body. Connective tissue is piezo-electric, which means that it is a fantastic generator and conductor of electricity. When power is off in your house or to a part of the house, it doesn’t function well. When electrical signals are weak or are not making it to parts of the body, ill health can ensue. Acupuncture will encourage increased flow of oxygen, blood and life giving brain chemicals to the part of the body being stimulated. When this occurs, you will feel better. It is best to do a series of treatments with acupuncture.
Emotional/Spiritual Healing of Hypothyroidism
This is the part of healing that is the most difficult for people buy into or believe in. We experience all of our body today, fully connected to our emotional states. We cannot hold onto negative emotions and trauma from the past and it not eventually affect our physical health. Chinese medicine has long taught that negative emotions are the most potent contributors to ill health in the body. Every health problem has consciousness (emotions) attached to it. Below are the general consciousness factors that affect the thyroid.
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)—An “I can’t be bothered” attitude. Muddled thinking, fatigue. Carrying too many burdens. Feeling worn out, emotionally unstable, exhausted. Difficulty communicating. Taking the back seat and allowing others to make important decisions. Holding back. Everything feels like too much effort.
Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)—Constant rushing, trying to pack as much as possible into the day. Inability to organize yourself. Under pressure and stress to achieve. Never enough time. Feeling that if you don’t get things done, the world will collapse. Constant guilt about not doing more. Always there for everyone except yourself. (Inna Segal – The Secret Language of Your Body)
Do any of these apply to you? It requires some soul searching to really answer this question. For me, very specific memories played powerful roles in affecting my thyroid down the road. What experiences in your life have contributed most to the above ideas for you?
If we address all the physical, electrical, and emotional/spiritual factors related to this issue, we will have the best change to heal hypothyroidism naturally. If this information and approach resonates with you, please call Dr. Scott now at 407-255-0314 to schedule your appointment. If you are not in the Orlando, Florida area, phone and distance appointments are available.